Learning To Learn
Learning to Learn & the Best of British
Our teacher training day will be spent with colleagues from Lemington Riverside and Waverley Primary Schools. Our teachers will be thinking about 'learning to learn' and begin to emphasise the need to become lifelong learners. Our teachers will be thinking of ways to develop our understanding of how we learn.
As children move through our school we not only want them to be immersed in the ‘new’ formal curriculum but we also want to see them become increasingly aware of their ability to learn; we cannot know what knowledge will be most needed in the future and therefore we should try to encourage pupils to love learning so much and learn so well that they will be able to learn whatever needs to be learned.
We believe that ‘learning to learn' is a process of discovery about learning that enables learners to learn more effectively and so become learners for life. At its heart is the belief that learning is learnable.
At our school we therefore offer pupils an awareness of the 5Rs of lifelong learning through our curriculum planning and day to day lessons. The 5Rs of learning are:
- Readiness - this shows in your motivation, curiosity, the belief that you can achieve and that you deserve to be successful.
- Resourcefulness - characterised by learning with and from others, learning creatively in different ways, being flexible, applying what you have learned.
- Resilience - this shows in keeping going, learning under stress, and managing your feelings about learning and the people you are learning with.
- Responsibility - this shows in your self-awareness in learning, taking ownership of your learning, and being able to learn alongside others.
- Reflection - this shows in looking back, improving your learning and performance, and practising.
We aim to develop the 5Rs in all our pupils so that they can and will continue learning effectively throughout their lives.
This term and in the future we are also thinking about what we consider to be British values and how we make children aware of these values within their curriculum work. At Newburn Manor Primary School these values are reinforced regularly - they are:
- the rule of law
- individual liberty
- mutual respect
- tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
At Newburn Manor Primary School we actively promote these values through our curriculum, school ethos and effective role models.